spesek

Racing Clouds

I love all books, but I find fantasy and science fiction most enjoyable. I read whenever I can outside of school, which mostly leads to bursts of literature over breaks.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
Maya Angelou
Words of Radiance
Brandon Sanderson

Seedfolks

Seedfolks - Paul Fleischman, Judy Pedersen Seedfolks is a beautifully written and deeply philosophical story. It tells the tale of a community that has given up hope, only to be brought together by a garden. When Kim plants six lima beans in an abandoned lot, she doesn’t realize that she is setting in motion a project that will change her neighborhood. Soon others join in the planting and the lot slowly becomes a fully fledged community garden. At first people are shy and suspicious around each other, but the garden slowly draws them together. In a city of immigrants, everyone has their own background and story, but they also have more in common than they realize. We hear the story through the many voices of unique characters, and as these people learn more about each other, they begin their own personal transformations. With a charming cast of characters, each with their own distinct personality and dreams, it is also surprising easy to connect with. However, the writing style is a bit simplistic and the stories themselves perhaps a little too short to tell the full story. Despite this, I still enjoyed the book, even though it was not something I would have picked up on my own.